Monday, February 4, 2008

Great Wall, Great B-Day, Great Family

Jodees' parents have arrived!! So far all has been marvelous. Ron and Karen got in Thursday night with two suitcases full of presents and food for Jodee and I. It was like Christmas #2 with enough bisquick and breakfast sausage for all. Friday Jodee and I both had to go to work so we made our guests up a map of our two block turf and sent them out for a day of massages and window shopping. Saturday, also know as Rons' birthday, we made the 2 hour trip out to the great wall at simutai, a place none of us had been, and had a hike like nobodies business. We walked for about 20 minutes just to get to the wall from the parking lot and then the real journey began. Up and up we went until we reached the eighth tower which scraped the clouds or at least felt like it. We took frequent breaks for air and beef jerky. Every bit of the hike was worth it as we got to see quite a view of the surrounding mountains and see the wall fade in the distance. The air was clean and cold, a better day could not have been chosen. To top it off we took the quarter mile (estimate) zip line down. On Sunday Jodee and I woke up to a feast of home-made biskets and gravy, a real treat for China, prepared by Ron. After our bellies were full we headed of to church and the weekly meal after with friends. Since then we have been relaxing, shopping and eating. Jodee will have 8 days off for Chinese New Years starting this Wedensday and that is when the ridiculous amounts of fireworks will start lasting over a week. We will give an update on the bedlam later this week. Hope everyone has a great Chinese New Years. Happy year of the Rat!!!

8 comments:

Kristian and Katy said...

wow! that sounds awesome!! family visitors are so great.
the pictures look amazing. i hope the rest of your time with the fam is wonderful!

~katy

ps- we are so jealous of don and ang!

Kristian and Katy said...

Year of the rat, huh? Well this is gonna be a great year! I encounter 2-3 rats a day here!

Anonymous said...

the picture at the bottom is sideways

R said...

Hooray for the year of the rat! Remember the cute, but awfully smelly, rats that lived at the 409 because of me? I still think of those little ones every once and a while. Oh, the memories. Thanks for putting up with them (and their nauseating smell) for so long! Y'all truly are great friends. Happy New Year!

Donald and Angela said...

Cool! We are so excited! And we are really glad you are all having such a wonderful time! See you soon potters!

Maria said...

All I can say is "WOW"!!!! All your pictures are amazing! What a fantastic experience for you guys...and for all the lucky people that get to visit you! We hear about all the different cultures in our amazing world, but to really experience it by actually being there - living there - that's just incredible. Reading your stories and looking at your pictures makes me want to hop on a plane...for a very, very long flight...and visit you! I'm glad Ron and Karen made it safe and sound and I know Nola is very excited to see you guys. Thanks for keeping everyone informed with this neat blog!

Maria:)

Anonymous said...

Hi to everyone!!!

Sorry if you get this comment twice. I thought I had already sent it but it never showed up?
The pictures are awesome!!! Mom
(Grandma) is very excited and we will be at the airport tomorrow am at 5:00 to send her off. I only wish I got to board the plane with her :-( It's a good thing you are getting all the excercise since it sounds like you're eating like royalty. I could see how much your Dad enjoyed his birthday complete with his favorite Oatmeal Pie!!! Grandma has a few treats packed in her suitcase as well, if you keep getting visitors that bring groceries from home you may need to move into a bigger apartment! Have a wonderful time together and BE SAFE!!! Love to you all!!!

Aunt Deb

Anonymous said...

FYI...I just printed off Mom and Julie's boarding passes without any problems! They're almost there!!!

I forgot to ask earlier, along with your big hearty country breakfast, did you also serve
scrambled "100 year old eggs"?

GROSS!!!

XOXOXOXO's

Aunt Deb